After completing the first head transformation animation
back in 2002, I wanted to create a cleaner, more finished version since the original was more of a rough. Also, I came across some better morphing software which would run directly in After Effects, which I tested on the teeth schematics
Copying 18 frames directly out of the original animation, I lightly printed out three template pages and drew over the original. Unfortunately, while I finished the drawings, which ended up serving as my "master" character design for the transformation, I didn't complete the animation at the time. Partly because the rendering times to output the morphs were just too long, but also because I wasn't entirely satisfied with the final sequence, either. I was worried I would need to redraw or composite some new keyframes together in Photoshop, and it was just taking too long.
However, upon launching "Werewolf Wednesdays" earlier this month, I returned to After Effects to prep some of video files, and revisited this work in progress. Thanks to two-generations of improved processing power, my newer workstation made short work of rendering the morphs, and I was finally able to complete the animation:[link]
However, while the transformation itself looks nice and clean, the final beast design is a little out of date. So, as a bonus I updated the final two keyframes with a couple of new drawings, and rendered out a final sequence featuring the newer beast design:[link]
While there a number of other unfinished test animations scattered on my hard drive, these are the last of this series of complete animations. I have enjoyed this brief return to playing with animation, and perhaps I'll return to it at some point in the future. However, I've got a new new book to start drawing soon, so this is it for now. I'll continue to post more "Werewolf Wednesdays" with other work from my sketchbooks, so stay tuned next week for more!